Berkeley man denied bail over break-ins

A man accused of committing a string of break-ins during a three-week crime spree in November last year, is likely to be charged with more property offences this week.

Craig Douglas Thompson, 41, of Berkeley, already faces 43 counts of stealing and fraud after he allegedly went on a robbery bender, breaking into several homes and stealing everything from perfume to a Jaguar car.

Opposing Thompson's latest bid for bail yesterday, prosecutor Sergeant Rob Casey told Wollongong Local Court that Thompson was likely to be charged over a separate crime spree in coming days. He said the fresh allegations related to similar offences.

The court was told several of Thompson's matters had already been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions, including claims Thompson attacked an elderly couple when they disturbed him stealing from their home.

Sergeant Casey said a hat had been left at a November 13 break-in and he was confident DNA on the item would match Thompson.

He also noted Thompson had allegedly gone to great lengths to evade police, including jumping out of a second-storey window.

Thompson was refused bail on December 27 after he was charged over the break-in blitz.

Police claimed Thompson had broken into Wollongong homes between November 5 and November 23 last year, often pinching car keys which he would then use to steal the home owners' vehicles.

It is alleged Thompson also used stolen credit cards to buy items at service stations.

Officers had been searching for Thompson for weeks before his Boxing Day arrest.

Defence solicitor Angela Melouney claimed yesterday the case against Thompson was weak, arguing there was no evidence linking her client to the allegations.

Ms Melouney said Thompson could report to police and comply with a curfew.

Registrar Nicole Hoffmann refused bail and adjourned the matter to January 7.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop