Bail denied for Splashes murder accused

A key witness in the Splashes shooting case has been named as the alleged ‘‘getaway driver’’ and was also allegedly responsible for driving the gunman to pick up the firearm used in the infamous shooting, Wollongong Local Court has heard.

The man, who cannot be named, allegedly drove the shooter to retrieve the hand gun, which police claim was used to murder Dragan Sekuljica outside the one-time Cliff Rd nightclub on September 8, 2007.

The revelations came yesterday as Zlatan Popovic, one of four men accused of Mr Sekuljica’s murder, made a second bid for bail.

Citing a change of circumstances since the 40-year-old’s initial application for bail in September last year, barrister Archie Hallas said Popovic’s mother was prepared to provide her son with a million-dollar surety.

Mr Hallas told the court the woman had at least a million-dollar equity in her Tarrawanna home, which is currently up for sale, and she was willing to offer it to ensure her son’s attendance at court.

Mr Hallas argued the case against his client was weak, calling for the police to reveal whether the alleged ‘‘getaway driver’’, who has not been charged, was to be offered immunity from prosecution.

Noting the witness was ‘‘criminally concerned,’’ Mr Hallas said there could be issues with the credibility of his evidence, particularly if he decided not to testify if he was not given an indemnity from prosecution.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart refused Popovic bail, citing the seriousness of the allegations.

Popovic, 40, was the first to be charged over Mr Sekuljica’s murder, fronting court in September last year.

Just months later, Jason Hristovski, 27, was also charged and faces counts of murder and shooting with intent to murder. 

Two other co-accused, Dalibor Bubanja, 26, and Tevi Kolomatangi, 43, were charged over the murder in November last year.

All the men are set to appear in court on January 30

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop