Shellharbour City Council has reaffirmed its opposition to the $3 billion Calderwood development on the eve of a Land and Environment Court appeal over the rejection of stage one of the project.
Shellharbour Mayor Marianne Saliba said the council's position, that Calderwood should not proceed at this time, "has not changed one ounce".
The developers, Lend Lease, are appealing a refusal of the stage one application by the Planning Assessment Commission (PAC), although the PAC has since stated it was now "satisfied that the Stage 1 project may be approved subject to appropriate conditions".
Last week Shellharbour City Council unanimously resolved to remain opposed to the Calderwood development.
Cr Saliba said while the council had been forced into mediation with Lend Lease, they had been unable to reach an agreement on any issues of contention including developer contributions, flood mitigation and development control guidelines.
Cr Saliba added the council was "very disappointed" it was not invited to a community meeting held in Wollongong last week convened by the PAC lawyers, where the council's position was discussed.
She said both Shellharbour and Wollongong councils would be represented at the Land and Environment Court hearing, which begins in Albion Park tomorrow and continues in Sydney on Thursday and Friday.
A Wollongong City Council spokesman said the council still contended that the application should be refused.
"The contributions offered by the proponent are inadequate to enable the proper planning and undertaking of infrastructure," the spokesman said.
"In the absence of appropriate contributions, the proposal should not proceed."