A 20-year-old man found guilty of covering up the 2008 death of Louise O'Brien faces up to five years' jail for his role in the crime, a court has heard.
The man, who along with his mother was found guilty last month of being an accessory after the fact to manslaughter, appeared in Wollongong District Court yesterday to begin sentence proceedings.
Judge Paul Conlon said based on the evidence presented to the jury during the eight-day trial, the man's crime fell towards the higher end of the scale.
Jurors found the man and his mother had played an active part in helping to conceal Louise's manslaughter, which is believed to have occurred on the night of October 12, 2008.
An elderly woman was jailed earlier this year after pleading guilty to manslaughter. She admitted she had failed to seek medical treatment for injuries Louise received when she was hit on the head with a hammer earlier that day.
The woman died earlier this month in jail.
Several witnesses, including family members of the accused, told the pair's trial that the man and his cousin had put Louise's unconscious body in the bath at a house north of Wollongong before transferring her to a back room, where she died later that day.
At some stage, the man's mother transported Louise's body to another northern Illawarra property, where it was placed inside a garbage bin and buried in a hole that had been dug by her son and another man.
The bin was unearthed in February 2011, prompting police to lay charges against the elderly woman and the accused mother and son.
In court yesterday the man's lawyer said because her client was 17 at the time of his arrest, the court needed to see a full juvenile justice report before deciding on his sentence.
The matter was adjourned to September 23.