They are supposed to be the windows into our region, offering sweeping views of the Illawarra's prized coastline and escarpment.
But many of the region's most beloved viewing sites have been plagued by funding troubles, falling visitor numbers and tired infrastructure.
Mount Keira lookout and Bald Hill, both touted as "must-see" attractions for visitors, have struggled to secure critical funds for upgrade work.
Wollongong City Council has admitted it does not have enough money to fund the $5.3 million Bald Hill revamp or the multimillion-dollar Mount Keira lookout upgrade.
Mount Keira Road, which provides direct access to the lookout, could be closed until next year as the council scrambles to come up with the funds to fix it.
A council spokesman said the council had yet to learn whether it had secured $1.35 million from the federal government's Regional Development Australia Funds to pay for the road work.
He said the council had funding to undertake critical cliff and slope stability works on the road but could not yet put a final cost or timeframe on the work.
The site's former kiosk, now a dilapidated building, is set to remain as the council on Sunday admitted there were no "immediate plans" to build a new facility.
In recent months, the community has had to step in to help return the site to its former glory, holding monthly working bees to clear overgrown vegetation and clean up the summit park.
The council is set to trim some vegetation at the lookout view line before the end of September.
Meanwhile, the council is hoping the NSW government will step in to fund improvements at Bald Hill.
Despite the Stanwell Tops lookout attracting about 900 visitors daily, swelling to about 3000 in peak periods, the site has suffered from unsafe pedestrian access and a lack of toilet and car parking facilities.
The council has applied for funding to upgrade the site via the $100 million Illawarra Infrastructure Fund.
A draft master plan, adopted by councillors in March, includes plans to build a southern car park, replace the old toilet block and create extra bus parking.
The council spokesman said $100,000 had been allocated in the 2013-14 budget for work on the site's concept plan but external funding would be needed to fund the bulk of the revamp.
By contrast, money has been plunged into the Southern Gateway Centre at Bulli Tops but the site has had difficulty attracting tourists.
Low patronage was attributed to the closure of the Jumbulla Aboriginal Discovery Centre in 2011.
The site has attracted an average 273 visitors daily over the past 12 months, less than a third of Bald Hill.
But numbers could swell in the coming months as the site's long-awaited gelato bar prepares to open.
The council spokesman said the gelato store was scheduled to open in October, subject to its fit-out being completed.
The centre opened in 2009 at a cost of $11 million.