Walking up Minnamurra Street in Kiama, you could be forgiven for thinking the family of tornadoes that tore through the region six months ago happened last week.
While some houses have been repaired, others look like construction sites with broken windows, damaged balconies and rubble-strewn front yards.
One property, perched on the edge of the hill and boasting million dollar views, hasn't been touched since winds of more than 200km/h left it looking like a heavily shelled war bunker.
The slow pace of recovery has left many on Minnamurra Street frustrated, and they have levelled their anger at politicians and insurance companies, who they say have failed to provide promised timely relief.
Jasmine Higgins, a single mother of two, was forced out of her rented home for more than a month due to damage from the winds and asbestos contamination.
Her youngest son, Beau, was just a week old at the time.
State and Federal Natural Disaster Assistance Scheme funding was made available for affected residents, however the most Ms Higgins saw was $300 - which she said arrived two months after the tornado forced her out of her home.
Ms Higgins, who was on maternity leave at the time, said $300 paled in comparison to the thousands of dollars spent on emergency accommodation, wasted food, phone calls and new clothes needed due to asbestos contamination.
"I was surprised how much I needed it," she said.
"Without power there was a massive amount of food loss - it was certainly assistance that was needed and wasn't there."
In order to qualify for disaster assistance, residents must have been classed as a low-income earner, proved the affected home was their main place of residence, must not have been covered by insurance, proved the natural disaster caused the damage, and they must have lodged the application within four months after the event.
Ms Higgins said her confusion about how to access funds was made worse when she contacted Centrelink and was told disaster funding had not been made available to Kiama residents.
A spokesman for the Attorney-General's Department said under the disaster relief arrangements, it was "up to the state to determine the assistance measures that would best assist the community recover from a disaster".
Meantime, a spokeswoman for NSW police and emergency services minister Michael Gallacher said the minister regarded the response to have been "very well managed".
"The response and recovery operation following the Kiama tornadoes was very effectively coordinated by Local and Regional Emergency Operations Controllers, with the support of ... personnel from the various emergency service agencies, council and other organisations," she said.
The department is yet to release how much disaster relief assistance was claimed by residents or an official damage bill for the disaster.
Gary Jones is the body corporate chairman for Highgate - a Minnamurra Street unit complex severely damaged during the tornadoes.
Although Mr Jones had full home and content insurance, he said it was the unit complex's STRATA insurance, underwritten by CGU, that had caused headaches for residents.
He said it had taken the company nearly six months to begin rebuilding.
"Only last week we got boards taken out and windows put in," he said.
"It was almost as if the assessor was on a bonus to see how long he could delay it for.
"It was a big job during the winter to stop wind coming in."
Around $250,000 worth of damages was estimated to have occurred at the unit complex, and Mr Jones said he and his next door neighbour John Gebbie bore the brunt of the tornado's fury.
On Wednesday, Mr Gebbie's front yard resembled a construction site, and his front balcony lacked railings.
"It's been a very slow and painful process with the insurance people," he said.
Following Mercury inquiries, a spokeswoman for CGU said the company had made "several more phone calls requesting an update of works from the builder".
The spokeswoman said the builder confirmed 95 per cent of the work was now complete.
"It is not unusual for the re-building process of a large loss like this to take some time.
"In June, an approved quote was sent to the body corporate who requested additional changes. Once the quote was approved and contracts signed, works commenced immediately," she said.