The man charged with running Wollongong's soon to be operational Sobering-Up Centre has said he would eventually like to see similar facilities made available to those aged under 18.
Watershed chief executive Will Temple said while legislation prevented minors from being treated at the centre, more debate needed to be had on the best way to deal with teens hitting the grog.
"If we've got a specific place that is available, have trained staff on board who have the knowledge and experience to deal with this issue, then why would you stop them?" he said.
Last month, it was reported the Auburn Street centre would be operational on August 30, however Mr Temple said that had only been a best-case scenario prediction.
It is now scheduled to open sometime in the next few weeks.
Intoxicated adults admitted to the facility must be deemed a threat to themselves or others, and agree to stay there voluntarily.
The question of what would happen to minors who presented to the facility was a subject raised at a recent Wollongong Sobering-Up Centre community forum.
Mr Temple said police or paramedics generally dealt with intoxicated minors, and described the issue as a "legal minefield".
He said it was unlikely any juvenile sobering-up centres would be opened in the short term.
"[The trial is] set up to deal with [people] 18 and above and for the next 12 months so we need to focus on that and collect some reliable data."