There is no script for responding to natural disasters such as the one that befell residents between Albion Park Rail and Gerroa on February 24.
More than six months after a ‘‘family’’ of five tornadoes left trails of destruction in their wake, residents are set to gather to develop a response plan to ensure if a similar disaster occurs, they’ll be ready.
Tonight, Member for Kiama Gareth Ward will host a public forum to brainstorm ways communities can better prepare themselves for future disasters.
The forum is also set to investigate how insurance companies and different government agencies responded to the event, and how those responses could be improved in the future.
Mr Ward said while most responses relating to the event were good, there were a few exceptions.
‘‘There are...some concerns I have about the responses of certain government welfare organisations and I’ll be seeking to address them with those agencies,’’ Mr Ward said.
Last month, the Illawarra Mercury reported residents seeking to claim emergency relief funding had received mixed messages when they contacted Centrelink.
Some were being told there was no disaster funding available.
Mr Ward said there were also a number of insurance companies whose responses hadn’t been up to scratch in the wake of the disaster.
‘‘There were some insurers that wanted to argue certain points about coverage and it was clear they were seeking to try and persuade people making claims in one instance.’’
He said although there were some lengthy delays, most insurance companies were quite good.
The forum will be held at the Kiama Pavilion at 2Bong Bong Street, Kiama from 6.30pm.
All are welcome.