An angry Bulli Public School parent has demanded the Department of Education provide parents with analysis reports of potentially hazardous material found at the school.
Kevin Johnston's fears were raised after learning children at the school had been picking through the excavated fill, which was donated to the school for a vegetable garden.
It is believed to have contained small fragments of bonded fibro.
The fill, which is being tested, was on school grounds from the week of August 11 until the department removed it on Sunday.
The department engaged a licensed asbestos removalist, who "fully encapsulated and fenced the area, and covered the fill to contain it".
Mr Johnston took issue with the department's claim that it was "unclear who or how many people came into contact with the fill".
He said he had been told a number of classes between years 3 and 6 had been used to help sort the material.
"That is something the department should know and parents should be informed of," Mr Johnston said.
"Kids were digging in the material, picking out rocks from the fill.
"I've asked for a copy of the analysis report. If it turns out it is all bonded material that is safe that is great, this could be just a storm in a tea cup, but I think parents need to know exactly what the children have been exposed to so they have that knowledge if something does happen to the kids in the long term."
A Department of Education and Communities spokesman said: "As previously advised, the fill was delivered to the site in the week of August 11 and removed on September 8.
"It is unclear who or how many people came into contact with the fill during this time. The school will be sending written information to parents, which will include details on the monitoring of the site, work undertaken and results from the air-quality testing."