Port Kembla residents will meet NSW Planning Minister Brad Hazzard on Thursday to air concerns about the demolition of the Port Kembla Copper industrial stack.
The group will include a nine-year-old boy, Tabani Moyo, who has canvassed students at Port Kembla Public School on the issue.
Wollongong City Council wrote to the minister last month seeking confirmation the demolition - then slated for September 5 - met all major project approval conditions.
Wollongong City Councillor Vicki Curran said residents were worried about the impact of the demolition on air quality and the town's infrastructure.
Cr Curran, who will attend Thursday's meeting, said she was unconvinced by a public infrastructure dilapidation survey carried out by Port Kembla Copper as part of its planning approvals process.
"You can't tell me that 14,000 tonnes [being demolished] isn't going to cause vibrations," she said.
"What [recourse] will the community have if ... we have footpath, road, drain damage, because we don't have the evidence to say what [the infrastructure] was like before."
Port Kembla Public School student Tabani Moyo devised a petition and collected about 100 signatures from his peers after hearing his mother, Tiziana Lucato, talk about the issue.
The petition asks the minister for a promise that children will breathe clean air when the stack is brought down, and he also wrote an accompanying letter.
"My friends and I will be at the school on the day that they blow it up.
"I am worried that the dust will be dangerous for us to breathe and may even have asbestos in it ... this can make us all very sick," Tabani wrote in the letter.
Meantime, the Stack 360 group, whose members hope to save the stack from demolition and convert it into a tourism drawcard, is planning a photo exhibition to showcase the site's potential.
The group is inviting contributions, which can be emailed to email@example.com or left at 7 Flinders Street, North Wollongong.
The exhibition will be at Art Arena gallery on October 1-12.