The Illawarra community’s generosity after a fire destroyed the home of a Dapto couple and their three young children had been ‘‘overwhelming’’, a family member said yesterday.
The night after Sunday’s blaze, grandfather Elwyn Jordan logged on to Facebook group Lost Wollongong and made a passionate plea for anyone who could ‘‘offer assistance in any way’’.
Since that post, Mr Jordan has received countless offers of clothes and other household goods for his daughter Amie’s young family.
‘‘We’ve all felt a bit overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of people,’’ he said.
Amie and Damien Abbott lost nearly everything on Sunday afternoon when a fire tore through the Burke Road home they were renting. The fire started in the lower part of the building before spreading throughout the property.
While the property’s owners had the building insured, Amie and Damien’s possessions were not.
Mr Jordan said following his call for assistance, an op-shop had even opened its doors to the couple, allowing them to choose clothing from the shelves.
‘‘It’s really been mind blowing the way people have responded,’’ Mr Jordan said.
‘‘They lost just about everything.’’
Mr Jordan said the only items the family now required were toiletries.
They also needed a new place to rent.
A fund has also been established for those wanting to make financial donations.
Mr Jordan said even those who had just shared messages of encouragement with the family had meant a great deal.
‘‘That kindness and thoughtfulness has just been amazing,’’ he said.