Huge crowds have cheered thousands of sailors marching through the centre of Sydney.
Hundreds of Royal Australian Navy personnel led the 4000-strong Combined Navies Parade along George Street today, a day before visiting warships in Sydney for the International Fleet Review head back home.
Peter Chapman, 72, and his wife Beverly, 71, travelled from Bathurst to see the parade.
‘‘We have a son, Peter, who served in the navy for 25 years and we thought we had better come down and support them,’’ Mr Chapman said.
Americans Lenny and Kelly Maheu, both 49, stopped by to watch and wave RAN ensign flags while on holiday in Australia from their home in Bristolville, near Cleveland in Ohio.
‘‘We are very proud of the military,’’ Mr Maheu said.
‘‘Our son is an honourably discharged sergeant who was in the United States Army.’’
Prince Harry was among the many spectators who came to see the 40-strong international gathering of warships and 16 tall ships in Sydney Harbour over the last week.
Today’s parade along George St, from The Rocks to the Town Hall, will end with a navy helicopter flypast.Governor General Quentin Bryce will review the parade.
Today is the last day for people to see all ships taking part in the event marking 100 years since the RAN fleet entered the harbour for the first time.
The tall ships will be the first to sail out from 11am tomorrow.
They will be followed on Friday by the warships, which will farewell Sydney from 7.30am.