An Illawarra man has been sentenced to a minimum two years and nine months' jail for his role in covering up the 2008 death of Louise O'Brien.
However with time already served, the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, will walk free from prison in December this year.
A jury found the man and his mother guilty of being an accessory after the fact to Louise's manslaughter, following a trial in July this year.
The woman was sentenced to a minimum three years' jail in Wollongong District Court last week.
The man, who was a juvenile at the time of the offence but will turn 21 on Sunday, faced the same court for sentencing today.
Judge Paul Conlon said the man's actions were at the upper end of the range of seriousness for such offences.
He said the man had shown no remorse for his involvement in the crime and described the man's attitude as "callous" and "cold-hearted".
Louise died after being hit in the head with a hammer on October 12, 2008 at a home north of Wollongong.
The man, together with a friend, was responsible for digging a hole in the backyard of another northern Illawarra property in which a garbage bin containing Louise's body was later buried.
The man and his mother then repeatedly told Louise's mother, Kathy McDonald, and other friends that Louise was still alive and had simply moved away.
Louise's body was found in February 2011.
Judge Conlon sentenced the man to a maximum jail sentence of three years and eight months, including a non-parole period of two years and nine months.
He back-dated the start date of the sentence to March 2011, when the man was taken into custody over the matter.
With time already served, he will be released on parole on December 1.