Unions and Peabody Energy remain at loggerheads after workers at the company’s Metropolitan Colliery at Helensburgh again rejected a new enterprise agreement during a meeting on Wednesday.
A Peabody Energy spokeswoman said the company had placed a new offer on the table, however the parties had failed to reach an agreement.
‘‘We’ll continue to negotiate,’’ she said.
The spokeswoman referred the Illawarra Mercury to an earlier statement released by the company stating the new agreement reflected ‘‘current market conditions’’, lifted productivity, reduced costs, enhanced safety and ‘‘provided greater job security for Metropolitan mine employees’’.
There has been near-continuous industrial action this month after the mining union claimed the new agreement would freeze employee pay increases, potentially putting wages more than 14per cent behind other operations in the region.
CFMEU southwestern district vice-president Bob Timbs said it was ‘‘ludicrous’’ for Peabody to suggest the offer was comparable to other mines.
‘‘[Workers] have sent a strong signal to us that the deal Peabody has offered is unacceptable,’’ he said.
Mr Timbs said Peabody’s offer had been to award staff a 0per cent increase in the first year, then a 2per cent increase in each of the two following years.
‘‘How can it be comparable when other mines within the southern mining region are receiving 4 to 4.5per cent?’’
Mr Timbs said it was not known how much longer industrial action would continue.