A 29-year-old man has been denied bail on a string of charges relating to break-ins in the Illawarra.
The most serious accusation levelled at Brendon Ronald Halsey in Wollongong Local Court yesterday surrounded his alleged involvement in a Dapto home invasion in which three females, one aged just 13, were threatened with hammers.
Police allege Halsey was one of three men responsible for carrying out the early morning break-in on June 5. The trio allegedly armed themselves with hammers before smashing through a window to gain entry into the Princes Highway home just after 7am.
Once inside, they brandished the weapons at the three female occupants – sisters aged 20, 16 and 13 – before ordering them to reveal where their mother kept her ‘‘money and drugs’’.
The men ransacked the home before stealing iPads and mobile phones and fleeing the scene.
The girls’ mother was not home at the time of the attack, police documents before the court said.
Police also allege Halsey was responsible for dumping a stolen Nissan Navara at Kembla Grange the following day.
Documents before the court allege the Navara had been taken from a Horsley property during a home invasion on the same day as the Dapto break-in.
Police opposed bail, saying investigators had telephone and text-message intercepts in which Halsey and his co-accused freely discussed their alleged crimes.
Prosecutor Alix Thom said the allegations surrounding the Dapto home invasion were particularly concerning, as it appeared he did not know the victims.
‘‘There’s a strong need to protect the community,’’ she said.
The prosecution case against Halsey was strong based on the telephone intercepts, she said.
However, defence lawyer Elizabeth Parkes rejected the argument, claiming cases that relied solely on such evidence often resulted in the acquittal of the accused person.
‘‘There’s no physical evidence linking my client to these crimes.’’
However, the magistrate, Geraldine Beattie, refused to release Halsey because of the serious nature of the charges against him.