Wollongong police are working with the Missing Persons Unit following the discovery of human bones in Royal National Park, near Otford, early last month.
Crime manager Tim Beattie said numerous inquiries had been made since the bones were confirmed to be human after initial testing.
However, he said the bones were undergoing further forensic analysis in an attempt to gain a better idea of their age, and whether they belonged to a male or female.
‘‘At this stage it’s an ongoing investigation,’’ he said.
It is understood the bones were in the park for at least 10 years before they were uncovered, although they may be much older.
A crime scene was first established on the banks of a creek near Lady Wakehurst Drive on October 7 when a bushwalker stumbled across a human skull.
Further human remains were discovered on October 11 during a large scale SES and police search.
It is not known when final forensic testing will be completed.