Australian mother and daughter die in Bali

A Sunshine Coast mother and her teenage daughter have died in Bali in the early hours of Saturday after the pair became violently ill less than a day after starting their holiday on the island.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman confirmed the tragedy on Saturday evening, stressing that the distraught family had asked for privacy.

A spokesman said the Australian consulate-general in Bali was liaising with local authorities. 

Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvan Jeana Yuri Bischoff. Photo: Supplied

He said the pair, Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her daughter, Yvan Jeana Yuri Bischoff, were from Queensland.

Police sources said the mother, a Sunshine Coast health professional, and her teenage daughter checked in to their beachfront resort on Bali’s east coast on Friday.

Early on Saturday morning the girl asked staff at the Padang Bai Beach Resort for help, telling them she and her mother had fallen sick.

The pair were taken by private ambulance to a nearby medical centre but about 1.45am local time the mother died, according to local sources.

The girl was rushed to BIMC Hospital, an international clinic in the Balinese capital of Denpasar. Despite still being conscious and able to speak to doctors on arrival at the hospital she could not be saved.

The bodies are now at Sanglah Hospital awaiting autopsy, one police source said.

‘‘Checking the scene, we found lots of medicine,’’ he said.

‘‘We can’t confirm the cause of death yet.’’

Another senior local police source says the treating doctor at the first clinic suspected a food allergy.

‘‘What kind of food, we don’t know,’’ he said.

‘‘All the medicines are from abroad.

‘‘The vomit and medicines have been taken to forensic laboratory.’’

DFAT says the Australian Consulate-General in Bali is liaising with local authorities and the government is providing consular assistance to the family in Australia.

The DFAT spokesman would not confirm reports from Australia that the mother and daughter had died as a result of food poisoning but did say that the department was providing consular assistance to the family in Australia.

smh.com.au, with AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop