Family refuses autopsy after deaths in Bali

The family of the Sunshine Coast mother and daughter who died mysteriously a day into their Bali holiday have advised local authorities not to conduct an autopsy on the bodies.

Noelene Bischoff and her 14-year-old daughter, Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff, died less than a day into their 15-day adventure on the Indonesian holiday island. Local police speculated food poisoning or anaphylaxis was to blame.

Bali police were advised of the Bischoff family's autopsy refusal through a letter from the Australian consulate.

''It didn't detail why they refused the autopsy,'' Adnan Pangibu, the criminal investigation chief in Karangasem, said.

''Without an autopsy it's going to be very difficult for us to investigate further.''

Earlier, the managers of two restaurants in Bali where the mother and daughter dined rejected claims their food was to blame.

On Friday at 1pm, the pair entered Warung Dewa Malen restaurant in Gianyar, near Ubud, and appeared ''happy'' and relaxed, supervisor Wayan Bagia told Fairfax Media.

''They asked for fritto misto, which has calamari, tuna and prawns, and it comes with French fries, and for another dish with fried calamari. And for dessert they had creme caramel,'' he said.

Not one of the 108 other guests served lunch that day had complained about food poisoning, he said. Several diners had consumed the same dish. Ms Bischoff paid 404,140 rupiah ($38), using her credit card.

The pair returned to their resort, Padang Bai Beach Resort, in Karangasem on the south-east coast, and ate chicken curry, vegetarian pizza and mahi mahi fish at the resort's Buddha Bar.

Resort manager Giovanni Bareato told the family by phone on Sunday that the dinner was not to blame. He had eaten it, as well as the staff, with no adverse effects.

The Bischoff family has denied the pair had allergies, adding that Noelene, 54, loved seafood.

Malcolm Bischoff, Noelene's younger brother, said he felt shocked when Mr Bareato described the scene in the ambulance.

''Her airway was closed; it was so swollen they couldn't even put a tract in. That's what the hotel manager was saying.''

- with Amilia Rosa, Marissa Calligeros

SMH.COM.AU

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop