The Seven Network has been blasted by Port Kembla Copper for airing ‘‘untrue claims’’ about the planned demolition of the stack.
The report, aired on Sydney's 7 News on Wednesday night, included interviews with Port Kembla residents who feared they would be ‘‘swallowed up by a giant toxic cloud if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction’’.
A PKC spokeswoman on Thursday said there was no truth to the claims of a ‘‘toxic cloud’’ being blown up by the falling stack.
‘‘Most dust created will be concrete dust which is predicted to remain on site as a result of a network of dust suppression equipment [which] will be used on the day,’’ the spokeswoman said.
‘‘The stack has been intensively cleaned in preparation for demolition.’’
The spokeswoman also pointed out that PKC had located asbestos on the site, removed it and then had independent testing to confirm it had been removed.
Further confirmation tests were undertaken by WorkCover and the Environmental Protection Authority.
Opponents of the stack demolition had wanted to turn it into a tourist destination but they ‘‘were not able to obtain approval for the project or funding’’, the spokeswoman said.