The father of a girl who died after a crash on Macquarie Pass says there is no feeling of blame in his family towards his son, the P-plater responsible.
Addressing a sentencing hearing in Wollongong District Court on Friday, the man said the pain on his son's face since the April 18, 2013 crash "seemed permanent".
"I don't think the pain will ever go away," he said.
"I think that punishment alone ... ," he said before breaking down. "It's massive for him to bear."
The Moss Vale youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was overtaking across double, unbroken lines around a blind corner when he lost control of his Ford Falcon shortly after 6pm. The car left the road, struck several trees, rolled, then came to rest on the driver's side.
The driver and his step-brother, who had been in the front passenger seat, freed themselves through the windscreen. But his 15-year-old sister remained trapped for 1½ hours.
She received unsurvivable brain injury and was declared brain dead at St George Hospital. She remained on life support for organ donation and, on April 19, was declared dead.
The driver suffered four fractures to his vertebrae. He pleaded guilty to a charge of dangerous driving occasioning death.
There were tears from family supporters in court on Friday as the father described how his son left hospital to attend his sister's funeral.
The girl had been proud of her brother's achievement in getting into university and he had always helped her with her schoolwork.
"This is a boy that would do anything to help anybody and this is probably one of the worst things that could happen to him," their father said.
"There is not one ounce of blame from any of our family.
"There is no hate, there is no regret. I believe in that word: fate."
The teen had been driving his siblings down Macquarie Pass to their grandmother's house, a stopover for a longer trip down the coast for a family birthday, when the crash happened.
The teen's father said his son was not susceptible to peer pressure behind the wheel and would not have been in a hurry.
"There was no rush - there was no time frame," he said.
Solicitor Nerissa Keay submitted a large number of references attesting to the good character of the teen, who had held a provisional licence since February 4, 2012. She said he had gone to change into third gear in the moments before the crash but the car went into first gear, causing it to "lock up".
Judge Paul Conlon adjourned the matter to March 6.