PHOTOS: Car crash after Bulli home invasion

Two people have been arrested after a bungled getaway from a violent home invasion in Bulli on Tuesday.

A 60-year-old disabled man was allegedly confronted by the pair in his home in Beacon Avenue, Bulli about midday, before they took off with a large sum of money and his car.

The man and woman were picked up shortly before 1pm after the car crashed and flipped on its roof on Memorial Drive, Woonona, causing another car to crash into a concrete barrier.

Leading Senior Constable Tony Riordan of Wollongong police said officers were hurrying to the Bulli address after the resident raised the alarm when they recognised the stolen vehicle heading south.

Police were first on the scene of the accident and officers helped rescue the man from the passenger side of the overturned car, while the female driver had been able to get herself out of the wreck.

‘‘The female had lacerations to her hands as a result of glass breaking and her exiting the vehicle,’’ Snr Const Riordan said. ‘‘The male had lacerations to his hands and arms.’’

The Mercury was on scene soon after the accident and witnessed police scramble to pick up money which was falling out of a paper bag near the overturned car.

‘‘An alleged large sum of money was taken from the house at Beacon [Avenue]),’’ Snr Const Riordan said.

 ‘‘A sum of money has been located within the vehicle.’’

Figtree man Keith Weissel’s van was allegedly hit from behind by the getaway car, causing the van to swerve and hit a concrete barrier. Mr Weissel suffered a sore right shoulder following the incident.

Ambulance officers also attended to the man and woman at the scene, and later transported the man to Wollongong Hospital while the female was taken into police custody.

Paramedics were also called to the Beacon Avenue home, where they treated the male home owner for lacerations to his hands.

Snr Const Riordan said he believed the couple was known to the home owner. Police inquiries are continuing.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide