CELEB GOSS: James Franco lashes out at theatre critic

James Franco. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

James Franco. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

James Franco lashes out at theatre critic

James Franco has lashed out at a prominent theatre critic after receiving a mixed review for his performance in Of Mice And Men.

The actor, best known for his roles in films such as Spider-Man, is starring in the stage adaptation of the 1937 John Steinbeck novel, opposite Chris O’Dowd and Gossip Girl actress Leighton Meester.

The production has won rave reviews, but New York Times writer Ben Brantley wasn’t too impressed with Franco, calling his performance ‘‘often understated to the point of near invisibility’’ and adding: ‘‘It’s a tight, internal performance begging for a camera’s close-up.’’

Chris O'Dowd, Leighton Meester and James Franco attend the after party for the Broadway opening night for Of Mice and Men. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

Chris O'Dowd, Leighton Meester and James Franco attend the after party for the Broadway opening night for Of Mice and Men. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

Brantley also questioned the ‘‘affection between the characters’’, prompting Franco to take to Instagram to blast the critic.

In a message, which has since been deleted, Franco wrote: ‘‘Sadly Ben Brantley and the NYT have embarassed (sic) themselves. Brantley is such a little b***ch he should be working for Gawker.com instead of the paper of record. The theatre community hates him.’’

WENN

Margot Robbie living in house share in UK

Margot Robbie. Picture: AFP

Margot Robbie. Picture: AFP

Margot Robbie is reportedly living in a house share as she prepares to shoot her latest movie.

The 23-year-old Australian actress is big in Hollywood following her appearance in last year’s hit The Wolf of Wall Street, but it seems she is determined to keep her feet on the ground.

Robbie is preparing to shoot her new flick Tarzan, in which she will play Jane, and is currently in London.

Instead of demanding a stay at a five-star hotel, she is happily sharing a house with four pals from Australia.

According to British newspaper The Sun, Robbie has been enjoying the life of a student with her friends.

She’s been spotted belting out tunes at karaoke bars, visiting tattoo parlours and inviting more friends to her Clapham home for bad T-shirt parties.

It’s not all fun and games though; Robbie has also been working hard to stay in shape.

She’s been visiting a nearby basketball court to shoot some hoops and been seen exercising in a local gym.

There is one small thing which shows she isn’t an everyday tourist though - the actress apparently has one of her movie awards placed on the fridge in her home.

Robbie is determined to remain grounded and has previously spoken of her close bond with her family. She appeared in some racy scenes alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street and was so nervous about what her loved ones would think, she initially lied.

‘‘I said, ’I don’t care what you hear, there is no nudity. I’m not doing any nudity. Ignore anything anyone’s saying. There’s no nudity,’’’ she laughed to talk show host Jimmy Kimmel.

‘‘The lie evolved to, ’Well, actually, it’s a body double and they just CGI’d my head onto someone else. And my family doesn’t have anything to do with the entertainment industry, so they totally bought it.’’

CM 

Lorde is no diva: spokesperson

Lorde’s spokesperson has dismissed claims about her supposed ‘‘bizarre requests’’ at a Las Vegas gig.

The 17-year-old New Zealander took the stage at Cosmopolitan’s Boulevard Pool Sin City on Tuesday.

The performance was soon subject to speculation that Lorde’s requests had include a demand that the venue not sell beer cans, among other requests.

A spokesperson for the star has brushed off the claims.

‘‘This is not true at all, but thank you for checking,’’ her representative told PageSix.Lorde had plenty of fans in the Las Vegas crowd, including former Kansas City Royals baseball player George Brett, the inspiration for her chart-topping track Royals.

The singer recently revealed it was a National Geographic photo of Brett wearing his 1976 jersey that helped her dream up the tune.

She said she had no clue at the time who Brett was, but was captivated by the image and the name of his team.

CM 

Aretha Franklin to sue parody website

Veteran soul singer Aretha Franklin is suing the bosses of an online parody website after they joked about a feud between her and Patti LaBelle.

Editors at TheNewsNerd.com published the fake story on April 11, prompting Franklin to post a formal denial four days later.

Now, according to the Detroit News, Franklin is filing a $US10 million ($A10.71 million) lawsuit.

In a statement issued by her publicist Gwendolyn Quinn, the singer says: ‘‘The stories were not presented as satire or humour. It was presented as a serious news story intended to depict me in a slanderous and derogatory way.’’

The story, which featured a disclaimer that the article was ‘‘purely satirical’’ and ‘‘for entertainment purposes only’’, suggested LaBelle had been arrested for assault and battery after attacking Franklin at a concert in March.

Franklin’s initial denial read: ‘‘I’ve never heard anything crazier - regarding myself and Patti allegedly fighting on March 20, in Atlanta. On March 20, I was in New York City readying for my birthday patty (Sorry. LOL. Laughing at my typo error). I meant PARTY, which we all had one fabulous time. Patti and I are cool and we always have been.’’

WENN

Cyrus slams ’dumb ass’ media reportingC

Miley Cyrus wants ‘‘dumb asses’’ to stop scaring her fans with lies.

The 21-year-old pop star was hospitalised on Wednesday after suffering a severe allergic reaction to antibiotics, forcing her to cancel dates on her Bangerz tour.

But in a Twitter rant on Thursday, Cyrus said some sensationalised reports about her ailment couldn’t be further from the truth.

‘‘So many ignorant stories out there no one is reading the official statement and these dumb a**es are scaring my fans. Please read official (statement),’’ she wrote, demanding, ‘‘Shut the f***k up & let me heal. stop scaring my family, friends, & fans.’’

Cyrus included a screen grab of a note from her smartphone, including the ‘‘official statement’’ about her illness from her rep.

The statement reads: ‘‘Miley was suffering from a sinus infection during her tour,’’ the statement reads.

‘She was prescribed the antibiotic Cephalexin which she’s now suffered an extreme allergic reaction to.

This type of extreme reaction can last from five to 27 days in these types of cases.

‘She will remain hospitalised and is under a doctor’s care until we see some improvement in her condition and is asking for your compassion and privacy at this time.

Miley is devastated about missing shows and possibly disappointing her fans.’’

Cyrus has used social media to keep followers up to date about her condition. Earlier on Thursday she wrote she couldn’t ‘‘quit crying’’ and felt terrible about letting concertgoers down.

‘‘i wanna go back on tour. im meant to be onstage performing for y’all.... not laying in a hospital bed,’’ she tweeted.

Cyrus had been scheduled to play a gig in Nashville, Tennessee on Friday, but it is still unclear when her Bangerz tour will resume.

CM

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop