A convicted child sex offender divulged to a counsellor that he had sexually assaulted a 15-year-old Illawarra girl before exposing himself in a Wollongong park near young children, a court has heard.
Aaron Vincent is accused of telling an online Lifeline counsellor that he raped the teenager, had enjoyed experiences with pre-pubescent girls and had become aroused while holding a four-year-old girl.
The 28-year-old, who was placed on the child protection register after committing offences in South Australia, allegedly kissed the teenager in his Wollongong apartment before removing her clothes and assaulting her.
When he revealed this information to Lifeline on March 29, the counsellor contacted police, Wollongong Local Court heard.
In April, detectives spoke to Vincent but he denied any offences or inappropriate behaviour.
They also spoke to the teen who allegedly revealed the pair had been in a relationship and she had stayed at his home but she refused to help police with their investigation.
Detectives then checked the girl's phone, which allegedly revealed calls, texts and social media interaction between the pair.
The teen eventually told police Vincent had assaulted her and he was arrested.
He admitted to contacting Lifeline and revealing he had exposed himself in a Wollongong park earlier this year.
Vincent was charged with aggravated sexual assault, committing an act of indecency, loitering and breaching bail.
Opposing Vincent's bid for bail on Friday, prosecutor Sgt Sean Thackray said the charges were serious, noting the man faced a lengthy jail term if he was convicted.
The court was told Vincent had a history of giving false information, making it difficult to believe his claims.
Magistrate Michael Stoddart refused bail and adjourned the matter to June 25.