Peppa Pig's future in doubt if ABC budget cuts made

Fund the ABC, or the pig goes: In an animated senate estimates hearing, ABC Managing Director Mark Scott said he couldn't guarantee Peppa Pig would be safe from budget cuts. Video: SMH

Is the beloved Peppa Pig bound for the Abbottoir?

The program is the No.1 downloaded children’s show on ABC’s iView and attracts about two million views a month, but Abbott government budget cuts have forced the public broadcaster to look across its operations for savings.

While ABC managing director Mark Scott told a Senate estimates hearing on Wednesday the corporation had contracts in place to continue Peppa Pig in the immediate future, things were muddier down the track.

Peppa Pig.

Peppa Pig.

‘‘The services we provide depend on the funding envelope,’’ he said when asked about Peppa Pig’s future.

Peppa Pig’s programming was brought up by Labor Senator Louise Pratt, who asked if Peppa Pig would be safe from conservatives ‘‘concerned about her dangerous feminist ideology’’.

Columnist Piers Ackerman used an article in 2013 to accuse the program of pushing ‘‘a weird feminist line’’.

Mr Scott offered to send committee chairman and Nationals Senator John Williams DVDs of the show for his education.

Senator Williams replied: ‘‘My brother and I are former pig farmers. I’ve seen enough of pigs.’’Earlier in the hearing, Mr Scott warned programming cuts were likely.‘‘The easiest levers to pull in budget cuts are programming cuts,’’ he said.

Peppa Pig Live! Treasure Hunt will be performed on: June 25 at Illawarra Performing Arts Centre and June 27 at Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre.

AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop