Thirroul town house fire started in meter box

The scene of the unit fire in The Esplanade, Thirroul on Tuesday night. Picture: KIRK GILMOUR

The scene of the unit fire in The Esplanade, Thirroul on Tuesday night. Picture: KIRK GILMOUR

The electricity meter box of a Thirroul town house caught fire on Tuesday night, with flames quickly spreading to damage a boat in the garage as well as the home’s internal wiring.

Firefighters from Bulli and Thirroul responded the blaze about 7pm, after several residents from beachside cul-de-sac The Esplanade called triple-0.

The owners of the affected townhouse were not home when the fire started, but arrived home shortly afterwards to see their property alight.

The garage contents were badly damaged by fire and inside the townhouse was affected by smoke.

Fire and Rescue NSW inspector Greg Houston said it took 10 firefighters from Bulli and Thirroul about 35 minutes to extinguish the fire, after they isolated the home’s power. 

However, he said damage to the electrical wiring would require assistance from Integral Energy before the home could be secured.

About 15 people were gathered outside the building at about 7.30pm, as black smoke billowed from the smoke-logged apartment.

Insp Houston said the fire was a timely reminder to all Illawarra residents to check their smoke alarms work correctly as cooler winter weather sets in.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop