Wayne Bennett's future at Newcastle Knights uncertain

RUGBY LEAGUE

Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett doesn't see his Newcastle future any clearer despite the NRL finalising its takeover of the Knights.

Bennett has a year remaining on the million-dollar-a-season contract he agreed with former owner Nathan Tinkler, who ended his tumultuous four-year reign last month.

NRL chief Dave Smith announced on Saturday a deal had been reached with Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group (HSG), with the arrangement designed to stabilise the club until a long-term owner can be found.

It ended a bitter dispute for control between Tinkler and the Knights Members Club, who will hold a 20 per cent minority interest under the new structure.

The decision ends any threat of an expensive legal battle between the Members Club and HSG over access to a $10.1 million cash guarantee lodged by Tinkler when he took control in 2010.

Despite this, Bennett said there's still a long way to go before issues around the Knights are completely resolved and it's too early for him to know where he will be next year.

When asked for his thoughts on the situation, the seven-time premiership coach said: "Scattered."

"It's a starting point. It's not stable yet.

"The NRL have done a really good job to get to that position and Nathan has put us in a much better position than we were three years ago.

"We'll know fully in the next three months when it's really sorted out and it could be a new beginning, but it's not there yet."

Bennett has said he'll discuss his future when new ownership is in place but club sources say his contract is with the Knights and not HSG, as was believed. - AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop