Barangaroo bomb threat: parts of Sydney's CBD in lockdown

A section of Sydney's CBD shut down following reports of a bomb threat at the multibillion-dollar Barangaroo construction site has been reopened.

Police gave the all clear for the east Darling Harbour site just before midday Monday, with all roads reopened and workers allowed to return.

Construction workers leave the site. Picture: NICK MOIR

Construction workers leave the site. Picture: NICK MOIR

Hickson Road had been closed in both directions between Towns Place and Napoleon Street after the threat was received at 10am Monday. The affected area was then extended further south to the corner of Sussex Street and Erskine Street 

Construction workers were also evacuated from the site immediately following the threat. 

The bomb threat was reportedly made by a member of the public who contacted the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union claiming they had placed explosives an open day held on the site on Sunday.

“We had a message left on the message bank which we got this morning, in which they said they’d been at the open day and had planted some explosive devices on site,” CFMEU assistant national secretary Brad Parker told The Australian Financial Review.

A CBD office worker pictured the empty Barangaroo construction site following the evacuation.

A CBD office worker pictured the empty Barangaroo construction site following the evacuation.

A spokesman for construction firm Lend Lease said the Barangaroo South construction site was evacuated as a "precautionary measure" following police advice regarding a "bomb threat."

The Barangaroo site was evacuated in March after fire broke out in the basement of one of the tower's being built on the site.

The March 12 blaze caused major disruptions in Sydney's CBD as office workers were evacuated, and numerous streets, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge were closed amid fears a large crane on the site could topple. 

smh.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop