CELEB GOSS: Glee star Chris Colfer 'sacked' on Twitter

Hacked not sacked ... Chris Colfer, top left, with his Glee cast mates. Photo: Fox

Hacked not sacked ... Chris Colfer, top left, with his Glee cast mates. Photo: Fox

Glee star Chris Colfer 'sacked' on Twitter after having account hacked

It may go down in Hollywood history as the shortest sacking on record.

Fans of Glee star Chris Colfer were stunned overnight when the 24-year-old actor announced on Twitter that he had been let go from the series which made him a star.

"Due to personal issues, I have been let go from the cast of Glee," he said. "Explanations will come shortly."

In fact, Colfer's Twitter account had been hacked and, according to his employers, he is still employed.

"We’ve been alerted that Chris Colfer’s twitter account has been hacked," 20th Century Fox said in a statement.

"Rumours of his dismissal from Glee could not be further from the truth. We love Chris and look forward to working with him again this season."

But that didn't stop the story spreading across the internet like a brush-fire, picked up by media outlets.

The original tweet was "re-tweeted" more than 5400 times before it was taken down.

There was a delay in deleting the offending tweet, as Colfer was on a flight without access to Wi-Fi, his manager said.

Colfer has been with the series since it launched in 2009, playing Kurt Hummel, an out, gay high school student.

The role has earned him a Golden Globe award and two Emmy nominations.

Despite burning hot and hard in its first few years, Glee's star has faded somewhat.

It was to return later this year for its final season, but the US network Fox has left the series off its "fall schedule", the program line-up with which it will launch the new autumn season.

Instead, it is expected Glee will return as a "mid-season" program - that is, in January of 2015 - for its final run.

Michael Idato, smh.com.au

Arquette’s fiancee confirms engagement

Christina McLarty has confirmed reports that she is engaged to US actor David Arquette.The entertainment reporter says she is the luckiest girl in the world.

‘‘He is the love of my life and I love him and my family so much. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!’’ McLarty told Us Weekly magazine.

Arquette popped the question during a family dinner at Mastro’s Ocean Club in Malibu, California on Wednesday night.

The actor’s 10-year-old daughter Coco and his two-month-old son Charlie were also reportedly present.

The engagement news comes just a week after Arquette’s ex-wife Courteney Cox announced her engagement to Snow Patrol rocker Johnny McDaid.Arquette and Cox were married for 11 years before they split in 2010.

WENN 

Robin Thicke defends music video

US pop star Robin Thicke has defended his decision to publish a private text message exchange with his estranged wife Paula Patton in a music video, insisting he is keen to create art from his heartache.

The Blurred Lines hitmaker has been publicly declaring his love for Patton since the actress broke off their nine-year marriage earlier this year.

He has named his latest album Paula and the record is full of sentimental songs about their relationship.

The crooner is now under fire for featuring the former couple’s personal text messages in the video for his new single Get Her Back, but Thicke is adamant he is simply including his real life pain in his work.

When asked about the promo clip in an interview on US TV show Good Morning America, Thicke said, ‘‘I actually have no idea what I’m doing, I’m actually flying by the seat of my pants on this one. I just wanted to make something artistic out of a very difficult period.’’

The revelation comes after Thicke admitted he has not seen Patton for four months and she has only heard brief snippets of the record which is dedicated to her.

‘‘I don’t think she wants to hear it (the record) right now. I can’t speak for her, but I think space is an important part of any healing process,’’ he told US radio station Hot 97 on Tuesday.

WENN

Swift breaks country music tour record

Taylor Swift’s Red tour has become the biggest revenue earner for a country act.

The 15-month world trek grossed over $US150 million ($A162.29 million) and surpasses Tim McGraw and Faith Hill’s Soul2Soul tour in 2006 and 2007, according to Billboard.

The Red tour began in March 2013 and took in Australia, Europe and Asia before ending in Singapore on June 12 this year.In total, over 1.7 million fans caught Swift onstage during her 86 performances in 12 countries.

The seven-time Grammy Award winner became the only female solo artist in twenty years to undertake a national stadium concert tour of Australia when she kicked-off the Australian leg of her Red tour at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium on December 4.

Earlier this year, Swift was named Billboard’s Top Money Maker for the second time.The singer beat out Kenny Chesney, Justin Timberlake and The Rolling Stones for the number one spot thanks to profits from her Red album and tour.

WENN

Maggie Gyllenhaal dreams of Downton Abbey

US actress Maggie Gyllenhall dreams of landing a role in hit TV period drama Downton Abbey.

The Dark Knight star is an avid fan of the British show and says she’d love the opportunity to appear alongside the likes of Dame Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville.

‘‘I love Downton. I would totally love to be in it,’’ she told Britain’s The Sun newspaper.

But Gyllenhaal admits she’s unsure how the writers would fit her in.

‘‘A friend said ... I would be the cousin who sleeps with everybody!’’ she joked.

‘‘A rich English playgirl!’’It wouldn’t be the first time Gyllenhaal’s stepped back in time for a role.

She previously starred opposite Hugh Dancy in the 2011 romantic comedy Hysteria, about the invention of the first vibrator.

WENN/AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop