Woonona unit fire extinguished

Fire has destroyed the kitchen of a Woonona unit after a toddler accidentally turned on the oven.

Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector John Hawes said crews from Bulli, Corrimal and Wollongong were called to Alice Street in Woonona on Friday afternoon after reports of a fire in a second floor unit.

A mother and small child were at home at the time, but escaped unharmed. Inspector Hawes said mother had fallen asleep on the lounge, and the child had accidentally turned on the kitchen oven.  

"The family had only just moved in, and some boxes of kitchen items were on the hot plates, which heated up and started the fire," Inspector Hawes said.

Crews contained the fire to the kitchen, which was totally destroyed. 

Inspector Hawes said crews were in the process of removing smoke and ventilating the premises.

Inspector Hawes said the unit had sustained smoke and heat damage and fire crews were also inspecting water damage to the kitchen. Adjoining apartments and the unit block itself did not sustain any damage.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop