Bomb scare charges against former Wollongong taxi driver axed

Abdula Ganiji is led from the scene by police after the siege last year.

Abdula Ganiji is led from the scene by police after the siege last year.

A man who sparked a dramatic siege that brought Sydney to a standstill when he allegedly threatened to blow up the NSW Parliament has had all charges against him dismissed on mental health grounds.

Abdula Ganiji, 58, a former Wollongong taxi driver, sparked a full-scale emergency response last December when he parked a white Chrysler outside Parliament House on Macquarie Street.

Police closed the street after Mr Ganiji allegedly threatened to blow up the building.

The siege ended dramatically about two hours later when tactical operations officers forced their way into the car and arrested him.

He was allegedly armed with a cigarette lighter and a juice container holding 100 millilitres of clear liquid.

In the Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, one charge of possessing an explosive with intent to destroy property and one charge of threatening to damage or destroy property were dismissed under mental health legislation.

Local Court Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson said the dismissal was conditional on Mr Ganiji attending his psychiatrist once a month, continuing to take his antipsychotic and antidepressant medication, seeing his GP and psychologist for treatment as part of his mental health care plan and his acceptance for the needed to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital if his condition deteriorates.

Mr Ganiji's doctors are to report to the court in five months.

The DPP can reactive the charges if considered appropriate, Mr Henson said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop