4.40PM UPDATE: Fire and Rescue NSW have extinguished the gas bottle fire and ventilated the garage.
Ten people who were evacuated initially have been allowed to return to their homes.
Police are on site continuing an investigation into the blaze.
4.30PM: Fire and Rescue NSW crews have evacuated residents from a Coniston unit block following a fire.
Emergency services were called to the Mackie Street address on Sunday afternoon following reports of a fire in a garage underneath a unit block.
Firefighters discovered a large gas bottle alight in one of the garage spaces.
Residents from the unit block have been evacuated and a Hazmat crew have been called as a precaution.