Man in custody after Wollongong Hospital 'threat'

Wollongong Hospital on Tuesday. Picture: GREG TOTMAN

Wollongong Hospital on Tuesday. Picture: GREG TOTMAN

Don't forget to hit the refresh button for the latest updates

3pm: Wollongong Superintendent Commander Kyle Stewart said the 48-year-old man now in custody was found inside the hospital.

‘‘There were a number of low-level contingencies enacted here at the hospital just to ensure the safety of people in and around the hospital precinct,'' Supt Stewart said.

''There were some patients that were removed from the hospital, at the lower level ambulatory patients. The public were last to evacuate from more general areas of the hospital, but ecrtainly the evacuations that were done today came at the request of NSW Police ... and were really quite minor in nature.’’

12.50pm:A 48-year-old man has been taken into custody after making threats at Wollongong hospital.

Superintendent Commander Kyle Stewart told Mercury reporter Bree Fuller the man made a call to triple-0 at about 11am involving the hospital that gave police call for concern.

Police would not confirm whether the man was a patient, visitor or otherwise.

As a precaution, visitors and certain sections of staff were evacuated.

Police rescue and emergency services attended the scene. Their units did a thorough search of the hospital and located the man.

Police said the incident had no relation to the bomb threat made at St Mary Star of the Sea College last Thursday.

Wollongong Hospital general manager Nicole Sheppard said actions were taken as a precautionary measure.

12.28pm: Police will hold a press conference at the hospital shortly. 

12.24pm: A police media spokesman said a threat was received via triple-0 shortly before 11am concerning Wollongong Hospital.

Police attended the scene and a 48-year-old man is now in custody.

The spokesman said no one was injured and that the incident had been resolved.

12.15pm: Police all have given the all clear and workers on the construction site, that were earlier evacuated, have gone back into the hospital.

Visitors are now also being allowed into the hospital.

Police will not confirm details of the incident.

12pm: It is understood the hospital received a bomb threat.

A visitor tried to get in and was told no one was allowed to enter because of an ''incident''.

11.50am: A police operation is underway at Wollongong Hospital with reports it is in lockdown.

A person at the site says no one is able to leave or enter.

MORE TO COME

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop