Firefighters called to Wollongong kitchen fire

Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in Wollongong on Tuesday night.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokeswoman said a triple-0 call was received at 9.16pm about a kitchen fire in Parkinson Street.

When Unanderra and Balgownie fire crews arrived at the residence there were no visible signs of fire, but when they went inside they found a fire inside the range hood of a stove.

It was put out using a hose and two CO2 extinguishers.

The fire reignited but was again put out.

The occupant was unharmed and the damage was contained to the range hood.

Unanderra Fire Station put a note on their Facebook page reminding residents that if a fire does occur while they are cooking to turn off the stove if they have a chance to remove the heat source.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop