Robert Nikolovski charged over Darko Janceski killing

Robert Nikolovski attended Wollongong Police Station on Wednesday night.

Robert Nikolovski attended Wollongong Police Station on Wednesday night.

Victim: Darko Janceski.

Victim: Darko Janceski.

Exclusive

A Cordeaux Heights man has been arrested for the second time over the 2012 shooting death of Darko Janceski.

Robert Nikolovski was initially charged with solicit to murder in January last year before prosecutors dropped the charge in September due to a lack of evidence.

However, the Mercury can reveal Nikolovski is again in police custody over the killing, and was last night charged by detectives with being an accessory before the fact to murder.

His lawyer, Aaron Kernaghan, confirmed Nikolovski handed himself into Wollongong Police Station around 5.30pm on Wednesday at the request of investigating officers.

He was refused bail to appear in Port Kembla Local Court today.

‘‘Our client has attended Wollongong Police Station of his own free will,’’ Mr Kernaghan said in a written statement last night.

‘‘He has done so because he was told that the police want to see him regarding a new charge over the incident that he previously had dropped by the DPP [Director of Public Prosecutions].

‘‘The fact that he has been living in the community for the last year, has not run away and has answered the call of police today readily shows that despite moving on with his life, and the shock of this new police and prosecution conduct, he stands ready to answer any charge against him, no matter how repetitive those allegations may be.’’

Mr Kernaghan said Nikolovski maintained his innocence of any crime.

‘‘My client will vigorously defend the charge and looks forward to once again relying on the fairness and justice of the court system to bring him an end to this sort of continuing prosecutorial and police pursuit,’’ he said.

Nikolovski was one of four people charged over the death of Mr Janceski, who was gunned down outside his parents Berkeley home by a man on a motorbike.

Christopher Madden and Derek Scott Ferguson, both from Horsley, were charged with being accessories to murder and participating in a criminal group, however both had the allegations against them dropped at the same time Nikolovski’s charge was withdrawn.

A fourth man, Matthew Paul Wiggins, is still facing a charge of murder.

He is currently on $1 million bail.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop