A man charged in relation to the death of a 36-year-old Wollongong woman on Saturday night has been released on bail.
Adrian McDonald, 34, appeared via video link at Port Kembla local court on Sunday, facing charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
He was arrested at the scene of the woman’s death, after police were called to her Corrimal Street public housing unit about 7.30pm.
Police prosecutor Michael Knight told the court police were not opposed to McDonald’s conditional bail, despite the serious charge against him.
“In the facts before the court, this is a [domestic violence] assault only, notwithstanding that there is a deceased victim,” he said.
He said there had been “some partial admissions to an assault, consistent with punches to the face of the victim”.
There was also a suggestion of “drug use and abuse” by the man and woman, however the cause of death was unknown.
Sgt Knight said police were also not opposed to McDonald’s bail because “as crass as it may be to suggest, there is no concern as to the protection of the victim, as the victim had died.”
Investigations into the circumstances of the woman’s death are continuing.
Defence lawyer Laura Fennell said the facts before the court offered no suggestion the woman’s death had been at McDonald’s hands, and noted toxicology reports were still to be received.
She also said her client had “raised an issue of self-defence”.
McDonald was ordered to reside with his father at a Bellambi address, as his Corrimal Street home was still subject to forensic investigations, and will report daily to Wollongong Police Station.
He will reappear at Port Kembla court on November 26.