Two men have been arrested for allegedly sending mobile phone text messages and using social media websites to recruit people for a violent demonstration in Sydney this weekend.
The pair were allegedly planning an anti-Islamic rally, in response to last week's protest by Muslims in Sydney's CBD.
Only hours after police warned detectives were monitoring social media to catch anyone planning violent protests, they arrested a 20-year-old man at an Ingleburn business at 12.40pm today.
Police will allege the man had sent texts and online messages "inciting members of the public to attend the Sydney CBD over the weekend and commit acts of violence".
He has been charged with recruiting persons to engage in criminal activity and printing or publish to incite, urge or aid commission of crime.
He was granted bail and will appear in Penrith Local Court next month.
A 21-year-old man was arrested at George Street in Sydney at 1.20pm and is speaking to detectives at The Rocks.
Police said they were closely monitoring social media websites amid attempts by anti-Islamic groups to hold demonstrations in Sydney this weekend.
Three hundred extra police, including mounted officers, the dog unit and the riot squad, will be brought into Sydney's CBD this weekend to ensure there is no repeat of last Saturday's unrest.
Messages have been circulating on Facebook encouraging further retaliation against the anti-Islamic film Innocence of Muslims and the police who quelled last week's demonstration.
The US consulate has also issued a warning to its citizens to keep away from Martin Place and Hyde Park - the scenes of last week's violence - this weekend.
Assistant Police Commissioner Alan Clarke this morning said the extra officers were only as a precaution and that there was no intelligence to suggest there would be any demonstrations in Sydney this weekend.
"We certainly are prepared for any event but at this point in time we are anticipating a calm and peaceful weekend and we encourage the community to enjoy it," he said.
Mr Clarke said detectives were also monitoring online discussions by anti-Islamic groups about possible reciprocal protests to last weekend's unrest.
"We are monitoring that; I currently have detectives available and if we can get to the source of that information people will be prosecuted," he said.
"Where we are monitoring those instances in social media they are not generating momentum and we are not anticipating that incidents should occur."
One text message in Victoria allegedly added: "They thought Cronulla riots were bad. We grew there, they flew there! Australians unite!"
Victoria's Deputy Police Commissioner Tim Cartwright told the program he found the text message "disgusting".
"I found that text message itself quite disturbing. Probably disgusting would be a strong enough word to say how I found that. There is nothing to indicate that we'll have any sort of riots in this city," he said.
Ex-boxer's charges upgraded
Police have now arrested nine people over last Saturday's incident where protesters clashed with police.
One of those, former national champion boxer, Ahmed Elomar, 29, will have the charges against him upgraded after video footage surfaced of him allegedly hitting a police officer with a flag pole.
The father-of-three had been charged with affray following the protest last Saturday in which Islamic demonstrators clashed with police.
He was refused bail in a court hearing on Tuesday and police today said that he would now face more serious charges for the alleged assault after officers received footage of the incident.
The ninth person was arrested last night by Strike Force McAlister, which was established to identify those involved in the protest.
A 19-year-old man was arrested at a home in Belfield and charged with affray and throwing a missile at police.
"The allegation is that he obtained a bottle from someone else in the crowd and threw that bottle at the police and then retreated into the crowd," Superintendent Mark Walton said.
Superintendent Walton said police had received hours of footage from the protest and he did not rule out further arrests being made.