An attempt to lure a nine-year-old girl into a van at Figtree on Monday has prompted a warning to parents to reinforce the stranger danger message with their children.
The incident came a week after the attempted abduction of a nine-year-old boy at Wollongong Botanic Garden.
The young girl was walking home from school along O'Brien's Road about 3.15pm on Monday when she saw a man standing beside a silver-coloured van.
He continued watching the girl and smiled as she walked past, causing her to become frightened.
The man, described as Caucasian, aged in his 60s, bald and with no teeth, got into the silver van and drove next to the girl, motioning for her to get in.
She ran home and reported the matter to the police. Wollongong crime manager Detective Inspector Tim Beattie said the incident did not appear to be connected to last week's attempted abduction at the Botanic Garden.
Insp Beattie said investigations into the boy's attempted abduction were continuing and he urged an anonymous caller who supplied some useful information to again contact police.
"'We'd appeal for anyone, particularly this anonymous person, to provide some additional information."
The young boy had been playing in the garden on Monday, October 1, when a stranger twice attempted to entice him into bushes before grabbing him, covering his mouth and telling him not to scream.
The man is described as about 40 years old, 170 centimetres tall, with a medium build and short, shaven grey hair. He had been carrying a green "enviro" bag at the time of the incident.
Police are encouraging parents to discuss the "Safe People, Safe Places" message with their kids.
They urge children to always walk straight home near busier roads, to know where safe places, such as libraries or police stations, are and to never get in a car with someone they don't know.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.