A serial disqualified driver, who was banned from driving until 2065, added another two years to his lengthy driving ban in Wollongong Local Court yesterday.
Jason William Blackley, 39, faces being off the road until 2067 after Magistrate Ian Guy sentenced him yesterday for the latest in a string of disqualified driving offences.
Jailing the Albion Park Rail father for a minimum nine months, Mr Guy noted Blackley had notched up at least 14 disqualified driving charges, showing a complete disobedience for the law.
Mr Guy rejected claims that Blackley was driving to Wollongong Hospital for treatment immediately after a workplace incident on the day of the offence, noting he did not believe there was any "urgency" to the trip.
Blackley, who pleaded guilty to the charge, was nabbed driving through the CBD last month, readily admitting to being disqualified when police stopped him.
Despite his lengthy driving ban, Blackley was behind the driver's seat about 10.30am on September 30 when officers pulled him over for a random breath test, a statement before the court said.
Blackley was open with police, simply admitting he didn't have a licence before police checks revealed he was disqualified from driving until 2065.
Defence solicitor Danny Lagopodis yesterday told the court Blackley had spent most of his adult life in jail and felt "institutionalised", finding it difficult to stay out of trouble.
Arguing for an alternative to jail, Mr Lagopodis said his client was keen to change his life, had work available when he was released from custody and wanted to set a good example for his children.
Mr Guy sentenced Blackley to 21 months' jail with a non-parole period of nine months.
Blackley yesterday lodged an appeal against the term.