Electrical fault believed to be to blame for Dapto house fire

A home on Marshall Street was destroyed by fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Pictures: Adam McLean
A home on Marshall Street was destroyed by fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Pictures: Adam McLean

A family will return to their Dapto home to find it gutted by fire. 

Investigators believe an electrical fault is to blame for the blaze, which destroyed a home on Marshall Street in the early hours of Tuesday morning. 

Fire crews were called about 2.30am and arrived to find the brick veneer home well alight. 

Lake Illawarra Local Area Command duty officer Jack Brown said police were still trying to contact the home’s occupants later on Tuesday morning.

“They’re apparently away for a couple of days,’’ he said

“At this stage we believe [the fire] may be the result of an electrical fault.’’

The fire is believed to have begun at the rear of the property.

Fire investigators are on site this morning.

John Darrick, who operates a neighbouring car yard, said two young children normally lived at the property.

“When I pulled up to work this morning I thought that there could still be people inside with the police presence I noticed out the front,’’ he said. “Thankfully at this stage it doesn’t appear to be the case. But it’s very, very sad.”

“There’d be at least three or four people now that are homeless. 

“It’s terrible. I wouldn’t want to go through it myself.”

Update 12.30pm: The Mercury understands the family has been informed of the fire and has cut short their holiday in order to inspect the damage, this afternoon.