A look at the first week of the Wigan Warriors historic visit to Wollongong in early 2018 has been revealed.
The nine day visit in February includes the first ever Super League game outside of Europe at WIN Stadium on February 10 between Wigan and Hull FC.
Wigan will call Wollongong home from February 3 and take part in a number of community events and activities. An open community barbecue will be held on North Beach on February 4. And a civic reception and formal welcome to the team will occur on February 6 before an open training session at the University of Wollongong and networking and coaching events.
The team will get its first look at WIN Stadium on February 7 when they train in front of key stakeholders and tour partners. On the Thursday fans can get up close and personal with the Wigan squad during a meet the team and signing session.
On February 9 there is a celebration of Wigan Rugby League Club history before the game against Hull FC a day later on the Saturday.
Wigan Warriors executive director Kris Radlinski said it was just four months to go until the historic visit and there are more announcements to come.
After his recent visit he said he was telling Wigan fans about Wollongong being a fantastic place,
Destination Wollongong general manager Mark Sleigh said Wigan Warriors are genuine about their desire to become a part of the Wollongong community in the lead-in to game day and are taking every opportunity to engage with fans and stakeholders.
Mr Sleigh said the Wollongong community was also ready embrace the new experience and share its pride. “We anticipate an exciting and colourful week of activities in February.”
Wigan tour of NSW 2018 week one
- Saturday 3rd February – Wigan arrive in Wollongong
- Sunday 4th February – Open Community BBQ, Wollongong
- Tuesday 6th February – Open training session at the University of Wollongong Wednesday
- 7th February – Open training session at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.
- Thursday 8th February – Meet the Team Event, Signing Session and Regional Community Events throughout the Illawarra
- Friday 9th February – ‘Wigan Celebrates’ milestone event to mark the historic tour, Wollongong
- Saturday 10th February – Wigan Warriors v Hull FC at WIN Stadium.