There’s the promised Albion Park Rail bypass, the long-awaited lifts at Unanderra train station and ongoing hospital upgrades.
It might be a new year, but there’s nothing new about these projects.
So, what do that have in common? They all feature on the 2018 wishlists of some Illawarra politicians.
The Mercury asked each of the region’s state and federal MPs to compile a list of what they’d like to see happen over the next 12 months.
The items range from major infrastructure projects to hopes of victory at an early federal election – and even a wish for US President Donald Trump to stop tweeting. Here are their lists (the items are not necessarily listed in order of priority):
WHAT ILLAWARRA MPs WANT IN 2018
- The community to get behind the NSW government
- The Illawarra shakes off the decades of “we aren’t good enough” and realise that it is batting well above its weight in all sectors
- That people with foresight step back and plan what the Illawarra will look like in 50 years
- The government must address overcrowding on the South Coast Line
- The government must ensure the construction of Bulli Hospital is on time
- Funding allocated to Mount Ousley interchange and the redevelopment of Mount Keira Summit Park
- More cruise ships arriving at Port Kembla
- Lifts at Unanderra station
- Confirmation of the funding agreement to keep the Gong Shuttle free to passengers
- Infrastructure investments, such as an upgrade to WIN Entertainment Centre and completion of the Maldon-Dombarton rail link
- Independent inquiry into the resourcing needs of Wollongong Public Hospital and improvements to hospital maternity services
- Delivery of the government’s 2015 commitment to have a thoracic surgeon at the hospital
- When we came to government in 2011, we inherited a state racked with corruption, mismanagement and debt. Today NSW is number one again.
- We have seen record investments in hospitals, schools and roads across our region.
- 2018 will see the start of early works on the Albion Park Rail bypass project and Berry to Bomaderry Princes Highway upgrade.
- To see the full Albion Park Rail bypass fully built, including the Yallah interchange and on/off ramps
- A fully-funded redevelopment of Shellharbour Hospital
- School maintenance addressed across the region
- Noise wall at Flinders
- A significant improvement by the federal government to support our region
- Better NBN
- Progress on Maldon-Dombarton rail line
- Stopping cuts to all levels of education – our schools, TAFE and university
- More access to care for our elderly residents
- An election win for Labor, if Malcolm Turnbull heads to the polls early (as many predict he will)
- US President Donald Trump stops tweeting
- Relocation for the refugees stuck on Manus Island
- The $$2 billion earmarked for stadium upgrades in Sydney is diverted to infrastructure in the Illawarra
- Improved rail links to Sydney and the Maldon-Dombarton rail link
- An upgrade for Shellharbour Hospital
- Improved NBN services
- The St George Illawarra Dragons and the Illawarra Hawks make the finals/playoffs
*Gilmore MP Ann Sudmalis did not respond.