Ruben Brown apprehended on outstanding arrest warrants

An Illawarra man who dodged domestic violence charges by fleeing to South Australia for six months has been re-arrested at Koonawarra.

Police discovered Ruben Ernest Brown, 43, hiding next to a bed inside the Walbon Crescent home on Tuesday morning while investigating an unrelated matter.

Checks on the police system revealed Brown had three outstanding warrants – the first issued at Sutherland court on May 12, the second at Port Kembla court on May 17 and a third at Wollongong court on September 29.

Court documents revealed Brown was in South Australia at the time, where he was on bail for another domestic-violence related matter.

The court heard he had only recently returned to the Illawarra.

In court on Wednesday, police prosecutor Sergeant Coby Davis opposed Brown’s bail application amid concerns he wouldn’t turn up to court if released back into the community.

“He allegedly fled to jurisdiction to South Australia where he is on bail for another [AVO] contravention,” she said.

A police statement to the court said Brown was well known to police.

They said he had been charged more than 70 times in the past and had 11 arrest warrants on his record from where he had failed to turn up to court.

Defence lawyer Elizabeth Parkes said Brown admitted his life was out of control during the time of the alleged offences but said he had a much more structured life now and was working as a rigger in the construction industry earning about $1,100 a week.

She claimed the prosecution case against Brown, particularly relating to a 2016 charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, was weak

She said Brown would agree to report to police daily and could provide a self-surety if released.

However, Registrar Tina McKenna refused the bail application on account of Brown’s lengthy criminal record and history of failing to show up to court when required.

The case returns to court on January 8.