Only the tiny hospital tag wrapped around little Charlie Squires' ankle gave any hint that the cheeky toddler had come close to death.
The two-year-old spent yesterday afternoon jumping on his trampoline and marching around his Thirroul backyard with Byron the pet rabbit clutched to his chest.
Just 24 hours earlier the youngster had been fighting for his life after almost drowning in the family pool.
Jason Squires, Charlie's father, was still in shock yesterday as he spoke of the brave acts of one son and the near loss of another.
He had been sitting by the pool watching his three boys, Kyle, 14, Jack, 5, and Charlie splashing around about 4pm on Wednesday when he ducked upstairs to make another cup of tea.
"I got upstairs, flicked the kettle on and I heard Kyle calling out for me," he said.
It had been the space of seconds.
Kyle spotted his young brother floating in the water, limp and blue, and rushed to his rescue.
"That moment was so scary, I didn't know what to do so I just tried to get him out," Kyle said.
"He looked pale and just turning blue, his eyes were sort of closing and rolling back."
Kyle pulled his brother to the side of the pool and started clearing his mouth.
Mr Squires ran to Charlie, and upon seeing his face feared the worst.
"I just thought to myself for that split second, far out, he's dead," he said.
Jolted by the shock, Mr Squires hesitated for a brief moment before his surf lifesaving training kicked in.
He lay Charlie on his side and massaged his stomach, allowing the little boy to vomit a large load of water before beginning chest compressions.
Middle brother Jack pitched in to help, fetching towels to keep Charlie warm.
The toddler eventually began to cry and cough and Mr Squires tried to keep him awake in the lounge room until ambulance paramedics arrived.
Special operations paramedic John Mayfield was the first on the scene after a neighbour and Kyle called triple-zero.
Wollongong Hospital was notified and a medical crew were assembled to prepare for Charlie.
"We knew that this child had to be in hospital pretty quickly," Mr Mayfield said.
"I think he was extremely lucky, I think that the situation could quite have easily gone either way without a doubt."
Yesterday the grateful dad was full of praise for his quick-acting teenage son.
"My son's an absolute hero," Mr Squires said.
"It's phenomenal what [Kyle] did, he could have froze up, he could have started freaking out but he didn't.
"He saved his brother's life."
Mr Squires urged anyone with a pool to ensure their resuscitation skills were up to scratch.
He credits the training both he and Kyle have gained through Thirroul Surf Life Saving Club for saving Charlie.
"We swim every day, we're such a water family and it happened to us," he said.
"In that split second it was nearly all gone."
Mr Mayfield urged parents to be extremely vigilant with their children when it comes to water.
"Particularly the little ones, and regardless of the depth of the water, it can be the bath, you just can't leave them around water, there's too much at risk," he said.
"Water's great fun but it can turn to tragedy real quick."