The industrial battle at BlueScope Steel may be set to reignite after difficult talks between unions and the company hit another stumbling block, according to union officials.
The majority of steelworkers from Port Kembla's top three unions last week voted to accept an in-principle offer from the company, cutting short their 24-hour stoppage and returning to work.
However, that decision might be overturned at a delegates' meeting on Monday.
Union negotiators met with the company yesterday to discuss a number of issues with the draft agreement, including when annual pay rises should take place, plus further concerns about sick leave.
"We're meeting with them and hopefully we will get it resolved, but if we don't then we're asking our delegates to recommence the protected industrial action campaign against BlueScope," Australian Workers Union Port Kembla branch secretary Wayne Phillips said.
It is understood the sick leave concerns were resolved yesterday, but the timing of pay increases remains in dispute.
Under the in-principle agreement, workers would receive a 3 per cent pay increase in the first year of the new award, followed by 2.5 per cent increases for the next two years.
The previous enterprise agreement for steelworkers expired in February this year.
The union position is that the increases should continue to be made each February.
This means the first pay bump would occur when the new agreement was signed, with the second increase in February 2013.
Mr Phillips said BlueScope was pushing for a November-November cycle for salary increases.
He also said there were other issues with the draft document, including in relation to annual leave.
"It just seems to be a rough, shoddy draft that they put together," he said.
BlueScope said it does not comment on industrial relations matters.