Sex assault victim: I thought 'this is it' 

An Illawarra woman has described how she feared for her life during a prolonged sexual and physical assault that left her with facial fractures.

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, yesterday told Wollongong District Court she thought she might die on the night Leonard Simpson attacked her in her home.

‘‘I thought ‘this is it’,’’ she said.

Simpson pleaded guilty to physically and sexually assaulting the woman on August 29, 2011.

The court was told an intoxicated Simpson became violent when he learnt the woman had left the house earlier in the day to visit a male friend.

He accused her of sleeping with the other man before punching her several times in the body and face, causing fractures to her cheek and eye socket.

He then sexually assaulted her  while verbally  abusing and  threatening her.

The attack lasted overnight and into the morning before the woman was able to leave and contact police.

Speaking at Simpson’s sentencing hearing yesterday, the woman tearfully told the court how she re-lived the terrifying ordeal on a daily basis.

‘‘The flashbacks and memories will never go away... I wet the bed due to the nightmares,’’ she said.

‘‘I thought you were a loving man that I could trust but I was wrong.

‘‘You have destroyed me mentally, physically and sexually.

‘‘I will never be the same again.’’

The court heard Simpson had previous convictions for domestic-related violence, but that he was remorseful for the attack.

Judge Paul Conlon will sentence Simpson next Friday.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop