Husband made Christmas death threat: court

An argument over Christmas shopping turned nasty when a Cringila man allegedly started smashing crystal glassware before threatening to kill his wife, Wollongong Local Court has heard.

Francisco Anacleto Da Silva is accused of warning his wife he was going to kill her after a disagreement between the pair over last-minute Christmas shopping became aggressive.

Police claim Da Silva, 44, was at home with his wife about 4pm on Christmas Eve when they got into a heated argument about the woman wanting to do some Christmas shopping.

It is alleged Da Silva walked over to a kitchen cupboard during the dispute, pulled several crystal glasses from the shelves and started smashing them on the ground.

He quickly calmed down and walked out into the backyard as the woman left to finish her shopping.

When she returned several hours later, she immediately saw Da Silva standing in the kitchen, noting the dining table had been turned upside down and the floor was covered in smashed glass, the court was told.

Police claim Da Silva started yelling at the victim, calling her a "slut".

As the woman headed towards the front door, Da Silva allegedly yelled: "Close the front door, you're making a scene, you're going to get the f---ing cops here ... if you get me arrested, [I'll] f---ing kill ya, I'll come around the front and smash you inside ...".

Fearing for her safety, the woman fled the house to a nearby address and called the police.

Officers attended the home, knocking on the door with no success, forcing them to kick the back door in.

Police searched the home and found an open manhole and allegedly found Da Silva hiding in the roof. He was arrested and charged with intimidation, damaging property and contravening an AVO. Applying for bail on Da Silva's behalf, solicitor John Gallagher told the court his client could reside with his mother, could provide a surety and would report to police.

Mr Gallagher said Da Silva vigorously denied making the threats but would agree to stay away from his wife.

Registrar Tina McKenna refused Da Silva's bail, citing the seriousness of the allegations and the need to protect the alleged victim. She adjourned the matter to January 2 next year.