Man tried to grab officer's holster: court

Celebrations for a mate's new baby turned sour for a man when he tried to grab a police officer's holster during an early morning scuffle, Wollongong Local Court has heard.

Bojan Sankovic tried to clutch the constable's holster while officers were arresting him for refusing to leave the area outside the Ivory nightclub after he was ejected from the venue.

Sentencing the 29-year-old yesterday, Magistrate Susan McGowan said Sankovic had to think before he went out again and "binged".

"Police have a job to do and you made that job more difficult," she said.

"This could have turned out a lot worse for yourself and the constables involved."

Sankovic, who pleaded guilty to the incident, was kicked out of the Crown Street club about 2am on September 30 last year.

Police assisting the club's security guards told Sankovic to leave the area but he refused.

Officers warned Sankovic he would be fined for failing to go but he became belligerent towards police, refusing to listen to them.

The constables grabbed his arms but he pulled away, making it hard for them to move him.

When they eventually got Sankovic on the ground, he tried to grab the constable's holster, the court heard.

The officer struck Sankovic's arm, fearing he would be overpowered, and handcuffed him.

Sankovic was taken to the police station but was quickly released and ordered to leave the area.

But, about 20 minutes later, Sankovic was back at the police station, again refusing to leave.

He pleaded guilty to remaining in the vicinity of a licensed premises, resisting police and refusing to comply with a direction.

Solicitor Tiana Simicic, acting for Sankovic, told the court her client had a limited recollection of the incident but accepted the police account.

She said Sankovic had made contact with the officer's holster but noted police were unsure whether the move was intentional.

Ms Simicic said her client had no record, was remorseful and was otherwise an upstanding member of the community.

Sankovic was fined $200 and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond.