Uni's hockey stranglehold broken


Albion Park scored a memorable extra time grand final victory over University to end the students' five-year dominance of the competition.

Blake Govers scored a magnificent five goals for Park, including one in the final seconds of normal time, to help his side break their own championship hoodoo, winning 7-6.

In a seesawing battle at Unanderra, the rivals swapped the lead several times throughout the action-packed clash before Park finally prevailed.

"It was an unbelievable game of hockey," Albion Park captain Steve Mayo said.

"It is probably one of the most exciting [grand finals] I have played in.

"I can't remember that many goals being scored in a grand final. And both the goalkeepers were great. They both made some big saves."

Park started the goal-scoring early through Bede Gillard before the students hit back with two Flynn Ogilvie strikes.

The match then went goal-for-goal until the closing stages when Govers scored from a penalty corner to level the scores at 6-6 and send the game into extra time.

Mayo got the decisive goal in the second half of extra time, before Park repelled a pair of penalty corners right at the death.

"We thought we would give them a challenge and thankfully we played well on the day," Mayo said. "They were quite outstanding as well."

Ogilvie scored a hat-trick for the losing side, but it was Park's day.

"The boys were pretty pumped, it was a good celebration," Mayo said. "As you know, it has been a while and to make it doubly good, second grade won as well and so did third grade so we had a good celebration night."

The students got a taste of glory in the Illawarra women's final when they defeated Figtree 4-1.

"We had played pretty well the whole season, so I guess we were the favourites to win but it is never easy," University captain-coach Sally Johnston said.

"I think it was a well deserved win because Figtree always put up a good game.

"Our defenders Rachel Donovan and Kate Davis both had great games in defence and Zoe Armstrong. had a great game in attack."

Melissa Davis scored the opening goal of the final from a corner, before Rachel Vaughan scored from a cross to give University at 2-0 lead.

Holly Warren and Keagan Mitchell rounded out the scoring for the students, helping the club to bounce back in style from last weekend's Combined grand final loss to Albion Park.

Albion Park's Jack Hayes battles for possession in the grand final victory over University. Picture: ADAM McLEAN

Albion Park's Jack Hayes battles for possession in the grand final victory over University. Picture: ADAM McLEAN


Discuss "Uni's hockey stranglehold broken"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.