Preparations for a Christmas lunch turned to tragedy when a Shell Cove man suffered burns to 30 per cent of his body.
Police and ambulance officers were called to a home in Solo Crescent at 9.30am on Christmas Day after receiving reports of a gas explosion.
When emergency crew arrived on the scene they discovered a 62-year-old man with burns to his face, arms and legs.
Police were told the man had been making preparations for his family’s Christmas lunch when the explosion occurred in a gas bottle connected to a barbecue.
They are investigating reports that the gas bottle may have been incorrectly connected.
The injured man was airlifted by helicopter to Concord Hospital for treatment at the specialist burns unit.
Police are hoping to speak to the man when his condition improves to get a clearer idea of how the explosion occurred.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.