Drunk man fell asleep in car at Towradgi

A Port Kembla man who refused to submit to breath analysis after he was discovered passed out at the wheel has been disqualified from driving for four years.

Police found Gregory Dennis Mulquin slumped inside a stationary car in the middle of a Towradgi street, about 1am on October 13.

The car's engine was still running and loud music blared from within, but it took police several attempts to rouse Mulquin.

The scenario was described in documents tendered to Wollongong Local Court yesterday, where Mulquin, 43, pleaded guilty to a charge of refusing to submit to breath analysis.

According to the police account, a member of the public spotted Mulquin's car perform a U-turn about 12.15am, before it stopped at the intersection of Foothills Road and Caldwell Avenue.

When police arrived and woke Mulquin, he immediately became aggressive and repeatedly told police to "f--- off". He slurred his words, was swaying in his seat and smelt strongly of liquor, the court heard.

An on-site breath test returned a positive result, but later at Wollongong police station, Mulquin refused breath analysis.

On the journey from the intersection to the police station, Mulquin kicked at the rear door of the police caged vehicle and the perspex plate separating him from police officers.

Mid-trip, he rushed at a constable who opened the cage to speak to him, and was subdued with capsicum spray.

Mulquin continued abusing police at the station as they attempted to question him and sought to perform a breath analysis, which he refused three times.

He spent the night in a holding cell.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart yesterday told Mulquin he was lucky he was not charged with multiple offences stemming from the night.

"Do you think police officers doing their job that night deserved to put up with this garbage?" he said.

Mulquin was on a bond for an unrelated matter at the time of the offence. The magistrate's sentence included a seven-month suspended prison sentence.